08:00 – 08:55
08:55 – 09:00
Chairpersons’ opening remarks
09:00 – 09:20
Keynote address: Addressing regulatory fragmentation to strengthen and harmonize the OTC Derivatives market
09:20 – 10:00
Panel: A look at Japan’s current collateral management regulatory and reporting landscape
- How prepared are the local banks and buy side firms to implement Phase 5 and 6 of the Initial Margin big bang?
- Securities Financing Transactions and its impact on the market participants
- Japan’s new financial accounting rule for 2021, what are the implications for local industry? How will this affect CVA and XVA practices?
- Basel III and its effect on collateral management
10:00 – 10:30
10:30 – 11:10
Panel: The LIBOR transition – what you need to know
- With LIBOR scheduled to be officially phased out by the end of 2021, what does this mean for Japan’s collateral management sector?
- How will LIBOR reform impact margining? (delete / need more points)
- Moving towards alternative reference rates, how can Japan and the rest of the Asian market ensure a smooth transition?
- Buy side and local bank readiness - what internal company measures are being taken?
11:10 – 11:50
Panel: Resolving operational and IM challenges faced by buy-side and local banks
- Insourcing versus outsourcing, which option should local banks and buy side banks consider?
- Onboarding before or by the September 2020 deadline, how can local banks and the buy side banks ‘beat the clock’?
- IM exposure – a number of local banks do not have a quants team and are utilizing standard models, which leaves them vulnerable to IM exposure, how can they overcome this issue?
11:50 – 12:10
Presentation: Understanding IM Documentation techniques for Phase 5 onboarding and beyond
- Segregating margins
- New collateral agreement with Global Custodians
- Smart contracts and distributed ledgers
- ISDA’s new digital platform
12:10 – 13:10
13:10 – 13:30
Presentations: Operations techniques for collateral management
- Initial Margin (IM) and Variation margin (VM)
- CCP margin management support
- Utilizing electronic platforms to rationalize margin calls
- Triparty collateral management
13:30 – 13:50
Presentation: Embracing SIMM and MVA Models
- Preparing for the governance model before utilizing SIMM, how can buy side firms and local banks best prepare for this crucial step?
- Internal Model vs Standard Model vs standard schedule (grid), which model should local banks, buy side firms, and commercial users choose?
- Exploring potential solutions to overcome IM exposure, calculative, and technical burden.
- Utilizing MVA to quantify the cost of IM posting over the lifetime of a portfolio
13:50 – 14:30
Panel: How Japan can take advantage of digitization and automation to keep up with the global market
- Utilizing RPA and AI technologies to reduce operational costs
- Standardizing documents - how can Global Custodians utilize STP and digital methods to assist the local and buy-side banks?
- Margin transit utility (MTU) for payment order and messaging automation purposes
- Blockchain technology and creating ledgers for collateral management purposes and IM documentation – how can Japanese players learn from abroad?
14:30 – 15:00
15:00 – 15:20
Presentation: Collateral optimization – best practices and methods
- Rising costs of collateral, how to post efficiently?
- Making the best use of cash and non-cash assets
- Real time collateral exchange
- The application of Collateral Apportioning
15:20 – 15:40
Presentation: XVAs and the next level – a deeper dive
- Comparing the advantages and disadvantages of a centralized XVA desk
- Key challenges relating to XVA use
- Changes to XVAs in the future
- Different ways the XVA desk can be set up
15:40 – 16:20
Panel: Establishing capital requirements for CVA’s
- Addressing the lack of divergence between regulatory CVA and market practice
- The poor recognition of CVA hedges – what are the consequences?
- Changes to the current CVA framework – what are the available options?
16:20 – 17:00
Panel: The Future Outlook of Japan’s Collateral Management Industry
- Phase 6 Margin Regulation for 2021 – What can market participants expect?
- As more banks begin the onboard process for Phase 5 and 6, how can Global Custodians best manage the increased workload?
- What role can the local custodians play?
- Market trends and forecasts for the next 12 – 24 months
17:00 – 17:05
17:05 – 17:05